Friday 2 October 2015

Looking back at your art

Looking back at my art since the late 80's when I started painting seriously, I've come to the pleasing conclusion that my art has improved, I have grown and I seem to have developed a "style". Style comes about by our preferences - preferences of the colours we use, preferences of subjects and preferences of how we look at things. I think every artist's fear is stagnating and getting nowhere, doing the same thing year in and year out.

My subjects have stayed the same - landscapes, birds, wildlife - the things in nature that I love. I did branch out into portraits, and there was a slight improvement, but I found that portraits were not really my forté at all, so I don't do many of those. I also now and then try acrylics and oils, but unless I spend a LOT more time practising in those mediums, it's not going to get very far!

Early paintings up to 2010










Recent paintings 2011 - 2015  













So what do you find when you look back at your art? I hardly ever throw anything away. Even though I cringe at some of the older paintings, it's a reminder of where I was. I love scratching through some old pieces, finding something that might have some potential and adding to it. Often something of value appears, if not, it's then destined for the dustbin. It's amazing what a feeling of freedom arises from the fact that it doesn't matter whether you botch it or not, it gives you a free hand to really go for it! ...

I'm a great believer in the four P's - practice, practice, practice and perseverence! Don't get discouraged about your art, lots of practice, trying new ideas and techniques and not being scared of the outcome really pays off.

.